SD Card Formatter is a free desktop formatting tool for formatting the SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card. This tool provides easy access to all the memory cards and thus help us in formatting the content of SD Card quickly.
Correct formatting also solves the problem of incompatibility among file systems in Windows, Mac OS and Android.
Downloading SD Card Formatter for Windows 10, 8 and 7
- SD Card Formatter v5 supports the following Operating Systems: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 and Mac OS 10.12 Sierra and higher versions.
- Two distribution versions are available for this application: exe and dmg.
- Download the SD Card Formatter from the official site. Also, the link for the same is: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Note: Don’t download SD Formatter v4 as it is incompatible with Windows latest versions.
Basic Formatting Software vs SD Card Formatter
- Basic Hard Drive, USB and SD Format tools are available for Windows and Mac OS, but avoid using them because formatting can hamper the performance of a memory device. On the other hand, SD Card Formatter doesn’t have this issue. Also, the SD Formatter will help to correct card reading error after basic formatting by Windows.
- SD Card Formatting Software do nothing with the Protected Area in contrast with basic formatting software. This reserved space is for security functions and should not be formatted.
- While performing formatting using the SD Card Formatter you can keep the settings as it is.
- Formatting of encrypted memory cards is not performed by SD Formatter. So, before formatting decoding the content is necessary.
Using SD Card Formatter
1.Connect the Memory Card
To connect with memory card, you need to have one of the devices:
- SD Card slot
- External device connected to the system
2. Selecting the Disk to format
In the section select card, choose the SD Card you want to format. However, the application will do this of its own. In case, other devices are also connected to the system, double check the letter of the disk. The disk will not be displayed if you insert your SD Card after the launch of application. So, you can press Refresh button and now check the status field. If Blue logo is there in the main window, it means the SD Card is connected.
3. Formatting options
Two options are provided under the section Formatting options. You can choose one of them.
- Quick Format: The formatting doesn’t affects the data in the files. After Quick Formatting, you have more chances of retrieving files.
- Full Format (Overwrite Format): The formatting erases all the data written in the files. After Full Formatting, you have very few chances of retrieving files. Also, it takes more time than Quick Formatting.
4. Implement the Formatting
Now, click on Ok button to apply the changes. Then, click on Format button to start formatting. After the completion of formatting, a popup will appear displaying the success message. Also, information regarding filesystem, total space, free space is shown.
Thus, SD Card Formatter works quickly and smoothly without causing the Operating System to crash or hang. To go through the manuals of SD Formatter visit the official site.