With the help of the Windows formatting tool, you are not able to Format USB Drive accurately. If the file table information on a storage device is corrupted or there are bad blocks in the device, then standard formatting doesn’t always help.
Below are the programs described for the formatting of USB Flash Drives quickly and correctly: USB drives have become an indispensable tool for many when it comes to storing, transferring, and backing up data.
Over time, these devices can get cluttered, experience compatibility issues, or even run into errors. Enter the solution: formatting. In this article, we delve into what it means to format a USB drive, its benefits, safety considerations, and more.
What is Format USB Drive?
“Format” in the context of storage devices refers to the process of preparing the drive for data storage. It involves erasing all existing data and setting up a file system, making it ready for fresh data storage. For USB drives, this typically means choosing between file systems like FAT32, NTFS, or exFAT.
1. JetFlash Recovery Tool
JetFlash Online Recovery is a tool that helps in repairing your flash drive which is not working properly or not being recognized by your system. Using this recovery tool is free and also it requires an internet connection.
It brings back your flash drive to its factory default settings. Brands with which this formatter is compatible are A-Data and Transcend.
The usefulness of JetFlash Recovery Tool
- JetFlash Recovery Tool is useful if USB flash drive contains bad sectors or file table errors.
- If data on the flash drive is unreadable.
- Useful for formatting a USB flash drive.
Note Backup all your data before using this recovery tool as it will delete all data on your flash drive.
For Fixing The Error on Flash Drives, Follow the Below Steps:
Step 1: At first, plug in the flash drive into the USB port.
Step 2: Now, Download and Install the JetFlash Recovery Tool from the official website. After installing, run the OnlineRecovery.exe file.
Step 3: Then, for fixing the errors, choose the option “Repair drive and keep existing data” and for formatting, the drive chooses the option “Repair drive and erase all data“. Then, click on the Start button.
Step 4: After completion, remove the flash drive from the USB port and then plug it again.
2. USB Disk Storage Format Tool
USB Disk Storage Format Tool helps in formatting a USB flash drive fastly and accurately.
Important Features of USB Disk Storage Format Tool Are
- Helps is removing malware and viruses that may affect the USB flash drive.
- Allows you to delete all data on the flash drive that cannot be formatted by the system.
- Searching and fixing of bad blocks and reading errors.
- Allows you to create a partition with a capacity of more than 32 GB in FAT32.
- Provides low-level formatting of flash drives such as HP, Kingston, Sony, Transcend and so on.
- Helps in creating a volume label for USB drives.
This tool is compatible with almost all brands such as SanDisk, Transcend, HP, Kingston, Sony, Lexar, Toshiba, IronKey, Silicon Power, HDE. Also, this format tool is tested on storage devices like Compact Flash media, Thumb Drives, Pen Drives, and the result is positive.
Pro version is also available for this USB Disk Storage Format Tool which helps in making bootable flash drives, performing low-level formatting and many more.
Download USB Disk Storage Format Tool from the link.
3. Kingston USB Format Tool
To perform formatting using Kingston USB Format Tool you have to specify a device (USB-flash drive) and a file system.
FAT is the best format for USB drive for removing the conflicts with other Operating Systems. Also, there will be no effect on the performance of the flash drive.
Kingston USB Format Supports the Following Operating Systems
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 10
Hence, if you are using Kingston flash drive and it is not working properly, then use this app to fix the problem.
To Use Kingston USB Format Tool Follow The Steps
Step 1: Download the Kingston Format Tool from the link.
Step 2: After completing the installation process, Kingston Format Utility window will appear. Choose the drive associated with your USB drive. Also, select the file system and then click on Format button.
4. HDD Low-Level Format Tool
HDD Low-Level Format Tool is used for formatting of low-level hard disks. This application helps in getting the service information about data storage devices on your PC.
It helps to format the Hard Disks, USB pen drive, Memory Card (SD, MMC, MemoryStick, and CompactFlash). You must have a card reader for connecting them to the USB port.
Features of the HDD Low-Level Format Tool
- This tool will delete data from SATA, IDE, SAS, SCSI or SSD through low-level formatting.
- Help in the formatting of the hard drive of large volume.
- Use of card reader for low-level formatting.
- It supports the following Operating Systems: MS Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, Server 2003, 2008, 2008R2.
Download the HDD Low-Level Format from the link: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
5. HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool helps you to quickly format the USB flash drive by just pressing on the Format button.
Also, it assists you for formatting USB flash drives in FAT, FAT32, and HTFS. This tool is free to download and can be downloaded for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10.
Follow the Steps to Format A Drive Using HP USB Format Tool in Windows
Step 1: At first, from the drop-down menu select the “Device” to format.
Step 2: Then, choose the file system in which you want to format.
Step 3: Next, under the section Format options, choose any one of the options: Quick Format, Enable Compression and Create a DOS Startup Disk.
Step 4: At last, click on the Start button and wait for the process to complete.
Download the HP USB Format Tool from the link.
For Mac: Follow the Steps to Format a USB Flash Drive in MacOS
Step 1: At first, on you, Mac OS, install the Parallels Desktop emulator.
Step 2: After that, install windows on it.
Step 3: Then, on your mac download HP USB Disk Storage Format tool. After downloading, install it on emulated Windows.
Step 4: At last, do formatting of USB flash drive under Mac OS through emulated Windows.
Does Formatting a USB Clear It?
Yes, formatting a USB drive essentially erases all data stored on it. While the data can often still be retrieved using specialized software, for the average user, the content will seem permanently erased post-formatting.
Why Do I Need to Format My USB Drive?
There are several reasons to format a USB drive:
- Compatibility: Different devices (like PCs, Macs, or gaming consoles) might require different file systems. Formatting can help switch your USB to the right one.
- Error Correction: If your USB drive is showing errors, a quick format often rectifies the problem.
- Speed: Over time, USB drives can get fragmented. Formatting helps in decluttering and can restore the speed of data transfers.
- Fresh Start: If you’re handing off the drive to someone else or just want a clean slate, formatting ensures the drive is empty and ready for new data.
How Do I Change My USB to FAT32?
Changing your USB drive to FAT32 is relatively straightforward:
- Plug in your USB drive.
- Go to ‘My Computer’ or ‘This PC’ and right-click on your USB drive.
- Select ‘Format…’
- In the Format window, under ‘File System’, select ‘FAT32’.
- Click ‘Start’.
- Connect the USB drive.
- Open Disk Utility.
- Choose the drive and click ‘Erase’.
- Under ‘Format’, select ‘FAT’.
- Click ‘Erase’ again.
Benefits of Formatting USB Drive
- Versatility: You can switch between file systems for different use cases.
- Performance Boost: Enjoy quicker file transfers and reduced lag.
- Error Correction: Resolve many common USB-related errors.
- Space Maximization: Ensure you’re using the full storage capacity of the drive.
Is Formatting USB Drive Safe?
Generally, formatting is a safe process. However, it’s crucial to ensure:
- You have backup copies of essential data as formatting will erase everything.
- You choose the right file system based on your usage needs.
Is Formatting USB Drive Free?
Yes, formatting a USB drive doesn’t cost anything. Both Windows and Mac operating systems provide built-in tools to format storage devices without any additional charges.
Formatting a USB drive, while a straightforward process, holds significance for various reasons, from compatibility to performance. By understanding its purpose and benefits, users can make informed decisions, ensuring they get the most out of their storage devices.
Always remember to backup crucial data before you format, and you’re set for a smoother, error-free experience with your USB drive!